Hello CTI Members,
Thank you for a wonderful first session on Thursday, October 17th, 2013. There was certainly a strong buzz at the face-to-face social experience and via Twitter! I couldn’t even keep up with all of the tweets!
With our next meeting quickly approaching, I wanted to ensure that I got this out as soon as possible!
For the purposes of organization, I will share this information via the blog homepage, Twitter, and email. After this communication though, I will only be posting upcoming events and readings on the #CTInquiry Page of the blog (see right hand side). Please try to check this a couple of weeks prior to our next gathering to remain informed.
Next CTI Session: Thursday, November 21st, 2013
6:30-8:30 p.m. Face-to-Face at Maureen Cicinelli’s School St. Cecilia Catholic Elementary School (Thanks Maureen!) 300 Peter Rupert Avenue, Maple Ontario, L6A-4P3 *If you weren’t at our last session, could you bring a small snack?
9:00-10:00 p.m. Twitter Online Chat (So that I can join in, however, please feel free to begin anytime after 6:30 p.m.)!
Please try to read/view/think about the following before our next meeting:
1. Capacity Building Series: Inquiry-based Learning http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/literacynumeracy/inspire/research/CBS_InquiryBased.pdf
2. Edugains video: Making thinking and learning visible through inquiry http://www.edugains.ca/newsite/fulldaykinder/videoinquiry.html
Edugains video pdf video viewing guide: http://www.edugains.ca/resourcesKIN/Video/Guides/ELK-VideoGuide_Inquiry.pdf
3. What inquiry-based learning professional book study would you recommend for us to use this year? If you bring a list of any that you know/heard of, we can decide which one we will pursue (articles, video clips, and blogs are also welcomed).
4. When/if you would be interested in hosting or planning a session within the York Region (school/classroom, coffee shop, restaurant, art gallery, someone’s home, etc.) or facilitate online discussion. We meet every Thursday of each month.
5. If you have some evidence of inquiry-based learning (photograph(s), transcription of what students said, work sample(s), video clip(s), audio clip(s), or documentation at any stage) from your classroom that you are willing to discuss, we will make time for “bring and brag” sharing, as well as the planning of next steps.
Finally, if you have yet to send me your completed survey, can you try to email me with it soon? https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwNkEqNEl5wyUnBUU1IteVFONDA/edit?usp=sharing (If you scroll down it is on page 4). I would like to create a page with CTI members’ profiles.
Thanks everyone for your enthusiasm and passion for Early Years IBL!
Joanne Marie Babalis
P.S. Is there anyone who lives close to “You’re Fired” who wouldn’t mind picking up our pottery and bringing it to the next session? If not, I will be going with my AQ course in December and can bring it to the following session.
P.P.S. I cannot wait to see what professional resource we decide upon! It will be wonderful to have it guide our discussions, thinking, and overall practice within the classroom!
Oh and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!