On Display: Summer Reads

Can you believe that we have made it to our summer break?  Where did the time go?  

It's kind of a nice change to be blogging in my backyard while my two Jack Russell Terriers run freely through the summer breeze...


I thought that I would use this Friday's "On Display" feature to share with you some recommended summer reads.  Though I have not read all of them, they are certainly on my "to read" list!



Visible Learners: Promoting Reggio-Inspired Approaches in All Schools


Vygotsky and Creativity: A Cultural-historical Approach to Play, Meaning Making, and the Arts


Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder


Learning to Write and LOVING IT! 



The Hundred Languages of Children: The Reggio Emilia Experience in Transformation, Third Edition



Einstein Never Used Flash Cards: How our Children REALLY LEARN--And Why they Need to Play More and Memorize Less


The Language of Art: Inquiry-Based Studio Practices in Early Childhood Settings


A Place for Wonder: Reading and Writing Nonfiction in the Primary Grades


Engaging Children's Minds: The Project Approach


Designs for Living and Learning: Transforming Early Childhood Environments


Natural Curiosity: Building Children's Understanding of the World through Environmental Inquiry


The Third Teacher: 79 Ways you can Design to Transform Teaching and Learning


Problem-Based Learning: An Inquiry Approach


Are you listening? Fostering Conversations that Help Young Children Learn



And this list could go on for days...

What are you currently reading?  Are there any books that you would recommend about early childhood?

I am personally on a journey to learn more about math problem-solving.  If there are any resources that you would recommend, I would greatly appreciate you leaving me a comment below.  Thank you! :)

Happy summer! 

Please continue to check in with our blog, as I will be posting all summer to inspire you for September.

Share your thoughts :

  1. Hi Joanne,
    Wow! An incredible list which I think made my "to-read" list double in size! Can't wait! Another great resource that I truly enjoyed and worth exploring for other educators is "Worms, Shadows and Whirlpools: Science in the Early Childhood Classroom" by Karen Worth and Sharon Grollman.
    Happy summer and I truly look forward to learning more from and with you!
    Sincerely,
    Jocelyn
    www.ljpskindergartenteam.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list for sure! We have some overlap (Visible Learners, for example) in our summer reading.
    My recommendation for math: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Kids-Powerful-Problem-Solvers-Kindergarten/dp/0325004315
    I went to a book talk years ago for this book, and couldn't imagine how it was possible to do such big projects. Now, after completing my K AQ cycle and overhauling my practice, I can't imagine teaching any other way. So, I think I'm due to re-read it.

    Thanks for sharing. You inspire a life-long learning approach in your embrace of good ideas from around the world. Keep on shining that light!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another good Math book is: "Making Mathematics Meaningful" for students in the Primary Grades by Werner W. Liedtke (a former University of Victoria Math Ed. professor). Publisher: Trafford Publishing. Can be ordered at www.trafford.com.
    I use it with my second graders in Sooke, BC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joanne,

    I just finished reading "Designs for Living and Learning". It was such an enjoyable read and really inspired me for the up coming school year. I just came across a read aloud called "The Day the Crayons Quit". I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but it's a cute story with a message about creativity.

    Thanks again for all these resource suggestions!

    Sincerely,

    Sarah Havlin

    ReplyDelete

@joannebabalis