Can children be involved in creating documentation?

After we completed an art inquiry on the experimentation with colour, I wondered whether or not the students could help retell their learning story.  I showed them a few pieces of documentation, and proposed to them that they try to tell their story.

The students were given a grey door that they could cover, and without any further instruction, I observed them measuring their landscape with rulers and then re-creating it onto the carpet.  After they knew how much space they were working with, they chose pictures, art samples, and their written theories to include.  

It was really fascinating to watch them make documentation decisions!  They reflected about the experience, and tried their best to choose pieces of work that would tell their classmates and visitors what they did.  Talk about ownership!!



Share your thoughts :

  1. This is amazing! In my program, our teachers often discuss ways to help support children in this process. I would love to hear more about how this developed in your classroom... What wonderful inspiration!
    Warmly
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! I will try to make another post about this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I've had many conversations about children's involvement in documentation. As teachers, we take a lot of ownership of display and documentation. I have been able to give up power when it is a "display", but documentation is another story for me! It is inspiring to see this - thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No thank you for taking the time to visit the blog and for commenting!!

    I would like to do more student documentation next year, and will try to post more about it!

    ReplyDelete

@joannebabalis